libtool

RE: Request for option to disable building of static library

From: Howard Chu
Subject: RE: Request for option to disable building of static library
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 13:47:27 -0700

O'Gorman

> Adding this feature would not require significant effort,
> just add the
> new flag, set the var to no ought to work as you suggest. The
> question
> is rather would it be accepted. If you spent some effort with your
> makefiles adding the -dlopen flag, you would allow all static linking
> of your software which would mean you could support many more systems.
>
> However, since you, as the author/maintainer, know what linking and
> dynamic loading strategies you support, and given that you do not
> support -dlopen/-dlpreopen, perhaps your -staticonly (or
> whatever) flag
> is a good idea???
>
> I'd suggest you send your patch to the -patches list and see what
> happens.

I've requested this feature and sent patches for it at least twice over the
past 3 years. The first time was silently ignored, the second rejected.
Supposedly libtool 1.5 supports this now with tags, but 1.5 has proven
extremely difficult to use in migrations and I see very little acceptance of
it in the projects I work with (OpenLDAP, Cyrus-SASL, Sleepycat BDB, etc.).

  -- Howard Chu