libtool

Re: Pending release of 1.5

From: Robert Boehne
Subject: Re: Pending release of 1.5
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 02:51:02 -0600

Bill Northcott wrote:
<SNIP>

> > Aside from the obvious problem of linking a shared library
> > to a static archive, which is not portable, I think this
> > is the source of your problem.
>
> I may be being dense, but I thought the point of libtool was to do things
> differently on different platforms.  The code concerned builds happily on
> a wide range of other UNIXen (Solaris, Linux x86 and PPC, Tru64, AIX
> etc..)  and Cygwin.

If a compiler does not generate PIC code by default then Libtool creates
archive files from non-pic code.  I think hppa/HPUX might have a problem
with this for instance.

> My real concern was the apparent regression from 1.4.3 to the current
> libtool code.

Yes, this concerns me too, I'm pretty sure all the patches in 1.4.3 went
into CVS head, so it might be a "feature" added later on. (!)

> >Can you tell us what happens
> > in Libtool that causes this?  i.e. run the same command with
> > "/bin/sh -x ../../libtool" and pipe the output to a file.
>
> I will try to do this for both cases and send you the files.  I will
> include another point in the source code where all versions of libtool
> fail to link.
>
> Bill Northcott

I think this is the only way to get down to it, hopefully they won't be
too long.  It may be necessary for you to inspect the output a bit
and trim out what is obviously not necessary.

Thanks,

Robert