Re: [libreplanet-discuss] ethical edtech edit-a-thon

From: overthefalls
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] ethical edtech edit-a-thon
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2019 08:05:41 -0600

On 2019-03-12 22:40, Aaron Wolf wrote:
There's a bunch of confusion going on here.

Free/libre includes all freely licensed works, even when GPL incompatible.

GNU itself hosts a list of specifically FREE/LIBRE licenses that are
accepted as such despite the downside of being GPL-incompatible.

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html#GPLIncompatibleLicenses

As far as trying to talk about these topics in general, I suggest the
use of FLO (Free/Libre/Open), as discussed at
https://wiki.snowdrift.coop/about/free-libre-open

This isn't about a *wider* set as free/libre covers the set just fine.
The issue is just about acknowledging the existence of "open" both for
its own values and simply to not confuse people who think that "open
source" refers to a really different set of software (it does not, the
sets are NEAR unity with only obscure edge-case distinctions).