Re: [libreplanet-discuss] 7 Reasons to Avoid Open Source?

From: C.W. Epema
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] 7 Reasons to Avoid Open Source?
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2017 15:29:16 +0000

I tried to post a comment, however a spam filter blocked my response.

My reaction was:

"
So, if Open Source or Free Software does not comply quality standards,
according to your 'investigation', what will?
Closed Software?
Anyone is able to verify quality and integrity of Open/Free software. In
contrast to closed software.
My suggestion is that you should take part in open projects, to suggest quality
improvements, in stead of posting fake and possibly paid comments about one of
the finest things humankind has come with: sharing knowledge
"

Regards,
Kees Epema

On Sun, 03 Dec 2017 11:44:43 +0100
Thomas Harding <tom@thomas-harding.name> wrote:

> Le 3 décembre 2017 05:45:12 GMT+01:00, Mary-Anne Wolf <mgwmgw@comcast.net> a
> écrit :
> >This
> >https://www.designnews.com/content/7-reasons-open-source-software-should-be-avoided/100858102757881
> >says, "As much potential as open source software can provide, there are
> >several reasons why embedded software developers should avoid it like
> >the plague."
> >

> >You would not be surprised that the reasons generally do not impress
> >me.  Somebody who can express it better than I do needs to respond.
> >Actually, a first person already has, but maybe more than one person
> >should.
> >
> 8 - The software is not mathematically proven.
>
> 9 - Software would likely never pass the tests in order to qualify as EAL
> 7+++, which is mandatory for a domestic grade standalone heating radiator
> thermostat (with display *and* clock!). Moreover youl'll had to afford the
> lab.
>
> >"Help!  Somebody on the internet is wrong!"  :-)
>

> --
> Je suis née pour partager, non la haine, mais l'amour.
>          Sophocle, Antigone, 442 av. J.C.

Groet,

Kees Epema
Rosa Spierweg 20
9408EV Assen
T: 06 100 66 878
M: keesepema@linuxmail.org

Protect your privacy and encrypt your messages.
Add my key to your keyring:
PGP key: http://osmigratie.nl/keesepema.asc