[libreplanet-discuss] Announcing Libre Orchestra

From: Lyberta
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] Announcing Libre Orchestra
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2017 22:35:00 +0000

Hi.

I make orchestral music and was dissatisfied with the lack of quality
libre sampled orchestral instruments. There are a few gratis orchestras,
but none of them are good enough:

* Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra - licensed under CC-Sampling+ which
prohibits commercial distribution of the samples.
* No Budget Orchestra - contains a mix of free and non-free instruments.
* Virtual Playing Orchestra - same as NBO. Maintainer previously claimed
NC clause over the compilation but was corrected because it has CC-BY-SA
files.
* VSCO Community Edition - public domain but control files are extremely
bad quality. Could be intentional to guide users to its full proprietary
version.

So I decided to make orchestra with freedom in mind. I've taken all 100%
libre instruments from No Budget Orchestra into a separate project and
called it Libre Orchestra.

https://libreorchestra.net/

The orchestra uses SFZ format as it is the common format for gratis and
libre sampled instruments. However, there is no libre sampler for
GNU/Linux. LinuxSampler comes close but its backend has NC clause.
SFZero is MIT but has no GNU/Linux port.

The orchestra repository is hosted on GitLab and I provide ZIP and DEB
versions for download. I hope to see it in official Debian repository
and other 100% libre FSF approved distributions.

If you can contribute samples or SFZ files or make libre SFZ sampler,
your help will be greatly appreciated.