Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Adding [A]GPLv3+ code to Quake-based code base

From: Aaron Wolf
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Adding [A]GPLv3+ code to Quake-based code base
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2017 12:49:03 -0700

On 08/31/2017 12:43 PM, John Sullivan wrote:
> Aaron Wolf <wolftune@riseup.net> writes:
>
>> Thanks. But damnit. Sounds like the AGPL has an unfortunate flaw here.
>> Is there not even a requirement that people get any notice that the
>> software being run is under AGPL at all, unless it's modified??
>
> Put a source link in the code. Then if anyone removes it in the version
> they are offering over the network, it's a modified version. AFAICT,
> most AGPL programs have such notices (not sure why you wouldn't).
>
> -john

Yes, of course. And you mean explicitly *a user-facing source-link in
the UI* (a link in just the source code is no good if you don't have the
source code). But this still means that we can have this bad (though
unlikely) situation:

1. Service A goes up with code under AGPL
2. Service B goes up with unmodified code
3. Source host goes down
4. Service B remains running indefinitely with no source available, and
service B can refuse to provide it

In fact, a single