Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Adding [A]GPLv3+ code to Quake-based code base

From: Aaron Wolf
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Adding [A]GPLv3+ code to Quake-based code base
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2017 21:48:03 -0700

On 08/30/2017 06:54 PM, Mike Gerwitz wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 09:19:13 -0700, Aaron Wolf wrote:
>>> So if someone downloads such combined work and start a server, do they
>>> have to publish the complete source code? What if they modify it?
>>>

>> Yes, the AGPL terms apply to the whole work, *all* the code *as running
>> on the server* (i.e. including any modifications) must be published to
>> those who have access to the server.
>
> But only if modifications are made.

What do you mean "only if modifications are made"?
Can you cite the part of the license you read that way?

I certainly had the impression that, just like the GPL, the AGPL
required making the source available whenever conveying, regardless of
modified status.

It is *not* okay under AGPL to have a situation like this (at least as I
believe at this time and want to be true):

1. I publish code under AGPL
2. You get my code
3. My website that publishes the source disappears
4. You publish the software via giving people access over a server, make
no modifications, and refuse to share the source.

Under the GPL or AGPL, anyone doing the conveying is responsible for
providing the source code. That responsibility doesn't come into play
only if you modify the code.