Re: [libreplanet-discuss] joint merchandise production between projects

From: Markus Fischer
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] joint merchandise production between projects (t-shirts, stickers, Swiss army knives, ...)
Date: Mon, 1 May 2017 21:38:48 +0200

Am 01.05.2017 um 21:02 schrieb Daniel Pocock:

I feel it is dangerous to mix too many different political causes with
free software.

I feel it is dangerous not to care about our own economical decisions. Why should we care about the software we use then...

I would like to know that people were paid for the work they did to
produce the clothes I wear.  However, on the question of the rate their
employer pays them, if they agree to accept that salary and it is better
than any other salary offer in their region then is it really any of our
business to ask questions about it?

I did not mention anything about the effective salaries paid. We should care about where and by whom this merchandising items are produced. Would you like to wear a shirt out of a production where sewers are hold like slaves to promote free software? And it is not about clothing in general, but clothing that is a statement itself.

Why not to buy from small companies in several countries who really support the idea themselves -- and pay some swiss franc more... This would be far better, than concentrate on large scale effects like any other purchase manager at an international retail giant.

By the way - I bought many items from https://shop.fsf.org/. Price was never an issue.

--Markus