Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free software K-12 schools and colleges

From: Will Hill
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free software K-12 schools and colleges
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2017 17:22:28 -0500

In the US, Charlie Reisinger has made some progress in the Penn Manor School
District.  I think there s some non free software in the mix but his program
is a step in the right direction.  Here are some notes and links I have kept
about it.  Best of luck, wherever you are.

Set up a one GNU/Laptop per child program at Penn Manor High School

http://opensource.com/education/14/9/open-source-high-school
https://joindiaspora.com/posts/4709855

Program might be thwarted by CIPA  the Children’s Online Protection Act  which
requires censorship software on every student laptop.

http://www.pennmanor.net/techblog/?p=1847

This page has policy documents that conform with that nasty law.  The titles
look just like my daughter's in Alabama.

http://www.pennmanor.net/techblog/?page_id=1561

Actually CIPA  Children's Internet Protection Act  not COPA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children%27s_Internet_Protection_Act

Open Source Evangelist, Lancaster PA

http://www.pennmanor.net/techblog/

A K12 EdTech veteran, Charlie is the IT Director for Penn Manor School
District in beautiful Lancaster County Pennsylvania. Follow his antics on
Twitter and his adventures in open source education on the PM Techblog.

http://opensource.com/users/charlie
https://twitter.com/charlie3

Google Plus

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+CharlieReisinger/posts

9/9/2014  you attempted contact

https://plus.google.com/u/0/117532217272229481825/posts/6rm2ni9hjP3
https://plus.google.com/u/0/113579520393333767984/posts/ZcZLj2HHEmY

Asked him about high school filter that blocked fsf.org

https://plus.google.com/u/0/111911369296187064340/posts/SynTtVuDDcT

History of project:  Started with gradebook and LAMP.  "Our first big bet on
open source as a virtual classroom platform was Moodle. We deployed WordPress
or classroom blogging and school web pages  brought in Koha to modernize our
library system  selected sipXecs for our phone system and ownCloud became our
private cloud platform and teacher backup system."  Replaced macbooks with
Ubuntu.

http://opensource.com/education/14/9/interview-charlie-reisinger-penn-manor

Other news about this program
http://lancasteronline.com/article/local/827998_Penn-Manor-outlines-laptop-plans.html