Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Mozilla and Pocket

From: aslam karachiwala
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Mozilla and Pocket
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2015 15:04:05 -0400

I haven't yet seen a campaign responding to this. Integrating a single, proprietary product in this way seems a first for Mozilla. Not only is it a closed and non-free 3rd-party service, there is apparently no way to pick an alternate like there is with the default search engine. Even if the integrated Pocket were to be disabled by default, thus requiring the user to explicitly choose it, it wouldn't be kosher, unless of course the result is Pocket embracing Mozilla's purported principles for all of its code.

Secondly, the recent addition of sharing services (for Tumblr, Twitter, etc.) would seem to be where Pocket belongs, so that it is up to the user to set it up.

Such integration indicates to me that Mozilla is on the path of "competitive business decisions" while still distinguishing itself as a champion of freedom and openness.