libreplanet-ca-on

Re: [lp-ca-on] Software Freedom Dialogue Strategy (was Re: SFD Street Ac

From: Blaise Alleyne
Subject: Re: [lp-ca-on] Software Freedom Dialogue Strategy (was Re: SFD Street Activism)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2016 09:59:46 -0400

I've updated the SFD 2016 page of the wiki with more thoughts and a rough sketch
of the direction for a street dialogue strategy -- feedback and edits needed:
https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:LibrePlanet_Ontario/Software_Freedom_Day_2016

Also, a few links I'll be reviewing...

- - My 2008 case for libre software/culture (haven't read it in years, it was a
relatively early expression of my thinking but my first comprehensive attempt to
make a case):
http://blaise.ca/blog/2008/03/21/why-free-culture/

- - Benjamin Mako Hill:
https://mako.cc/copyrighteous/in-defense-of-free-knowledge

- - Mako references an Eben Moglen talk, which is the type of thing I was
referring to with Moglen on Mumble this evening:
http://www.ibiblio.org/archive/2001/11/eben-moglen-the-dotcommunist-manifesto-how-culture-became-property-and-what-were-going-to-do-about-it/

- - Also, Moglen gave a fantastic talk on making a case for software freedom
called "Innovation under Austerity." I think it's more of a lecture than a
conversation starter, but I'm going to try and relisten to that for some
potential ideas -- perhaps under economics, on not only making the case that
freedom is *feasible* but that it's actually *better* for innovation and
progress and prosperity and flourishing:

https://www.softwarefreedom.org/events/2012/freedom-to-connect_moglen-keynote-2012.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2VHf5vpBy8

- - Re: Stephen's Cory Doctorow suggestion, assuming this is a good example of
his recent talks, hoping to listen to this soon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT6itfUUsoQ

On 24/07/16 10:32 PM, Blaise Alleyne wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> We had a really good conversation about developing/running a street
> outreach project for SFD this year.
>
> Rather than trying to figure out how to get people into the room to
> deliver the message of software freedom, we're thinking about going out to
> the street to bring the message to them.
>
> Singpolyma started a sketch on the wiki:
> https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:LibrePlanet_Ontario/Software_Freedom_Day_2016

What I think we need immediately: - edit the wiki to help shape talking