libredwg

Re: [libredwg] avoiding pkg-config

From: Piyush Parkash
Subject: Re: [libredwg] avoiding pkg-config
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 23:28:41 +0530

On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 7:52 PM, Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> wrote:
> Good news: Hydra now is able to build the tarball, and to
> successfully "make" for various platforms:

Great!

>  http://hydra.nixos.org/jobset/gnu/libredwg-master
>
> The failures now come from "make check", which invokes
> pkg-config(1) to compute the flags to build program
> testsuite/xmlsuite/testsuite (from the corresponding .c) file.

There is always something -_-. Looks like there going to be more.
`make check` is now under control of DejaGNU. It will never pass until
all the tests pass.

> There are two reasonable solutions, i think: (a) make Hydra
> aware of pkg-config; (b) avoid pkg-config altogether.  IMHO (b)
> is cleaner, since we can get the same information from program
> xml2-config(1), which is normally part of package libxml2-dev
> (on Debian, that is, YMMV), along w/ the library's headers.
> In sum, pkg-config is overkill; we don't need it.

<snip>

> a patch to make the configure script require xml2-config(1)
> and the testsuite/xmlsuite/ makefiles use it.  I took the
> opportunity to use the "correct" Makefile.am var (AM_CPPFLAGS),
> as well.

This looks good. But we will be always dependent on xml-config or
pkg-config. There should be a way to kill these?!

--
Piyush Parkash
piyushparkash.wordpress.com

“The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit
story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.” ―
Jordan Belfort