libredwg

Re: [libredwg] Sample functions

From: Till Heuschmann
Subject: Re: [libredwg] Sample functions
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 23:14:01 +0200

First of all your functions are OK (from a source point of view, I have not run
them in a debugger) they produce the output one expects them to do and hide
libredwgs internal structure. Fine.

To improve them or to keep in mind for the next functions you write here are
some hints:

count_entity(...)
The function has the parameter "name" with witch the the name of an object is
given. In nearly the whole body of the function there are string compares to
match the DWG_TYPE with the "name". Instead of the name parameter the function
could have a DWG_TYPE parameter which would eliminate all the strcmp calls.

The object name as a string makes room for "misspelling" errors (searching for
"Circle" instead of "CIRCLE")

If you want to stay with the parameter "name" you should try to move the strcmp
calls outside of the while loop.

extract_lines(...)
Functions that allocate memory and left the user to free this memory are always
problematic. But, why not.

The API must not hide the get_first/get_next functions. What the extract_XXX
functions do the user should be able to do also without these functions.