Re: [Libreboot] logo needed for gluglug

From: Patrick 'P. J.' McDermott
Subject: Re: [Libreboot] logo needed for gluglug
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 13:57:24 -0400

On 2015-07-21 12:21, Will Hill wrote:
> What do you most want associated with the Gluglug?  There's Libreboot, the
> free software firmware with Respects Your Freedom certification.  Anything
> else?
>
> On Monday 20 July 2015, Francis Rowe wrote:
>> Title says all. Any graphics designers in here?
>>
>> I'll pay for the work.

Maybe a seagull is a good piece of imagery:

  * Birds are commonly associated with freedom
  * A seagull is commonly associated with water (even though they're
    also found far inland), where one could "drown in freedom"
  * "Gull" sounds similar to "Glug"?

Alternatively, one could play with the lettering, as I did with
Libiquity's logo (the "L" is in the shape of a stack diagram) and the
Taurinus logo (the "T" is in the shape of a gnu's head) [1].  Maybe the
serifs of a capital "G" could be a bird's wings and the curve of the "G"
could be a long tail?

So maybe a "G" in the shape of a seagull.  Or a swallow, so the long
tail makes more sense.

Another thing to consider with a logo like this is where the logo will
be used.  If it will only ever be used on a Web site, you can use any
colors and size you like.  If it will ever be printed in grayscale or
black-and-white (e.g. on shipping labels or faxes) or silkscreened or
stitched onto any surfaces, a logo that uses at most two colors [1][2]
would be better.  If it will be printed in small sizes, the features
need to be large and clear.  (Designing a versatile logo is a tricky
thing.)

[1]: https://shop.libiquity.com/media/images/taurinus-coming-soon.png
[2]: http://libiquity.com/media/branding/logo.full.288x66.png

--