Re: [Libreboot] Password protected Grub entries

From: Robert Alessi
Subject: Re: [Libreboot] Password protected Grub entries
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 12:52:23 +0200

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 10:11:21AM +0000, address@hidden wrote:
> > Because even on this second libreboot system, you have to type your
> > passphrase under the eyes of everyone.  Unless you have no important
> > data on this second system, I think it matters.
>
> You still can do this (image attached) or go somewhere else to type in
> your password, which I do all the time. If I can't, I won't use the
> laptop because I can't memorize this password lengths every 2 days.

No kidding, this is what I do!  At home, I go in a closet to type in
my passphrase.  Passphrases are very hard to memorize: I use the
Diceware method which I find useful.  As I am paranoid too, I try to
memorize at least 9 words.

> You should keep in mind that the password can be guessed by the sound
> your keyboard makes (no idea how to avoid this other than typing very
> softly, slowly and not on a mechanical keyboard) and in the reflections
> of your eyes with a pretty standard camera (proven by the CCC in 2014),
> easily circumvented by not looking at the keyboard while typing.

I was aware that mechanical keyboards were one of the most common
flaws in computer security, but I had no idea that footages of my eyes
might give away my passphrase! Gosh!

> If you're as paranoid as I am, you'll also close the curtains when
> typing the password at home if your room has windows.

Indeed I do.