Re: [libmicrohttpd] HTTP/2 Support on GNU Libmcrohttpd

From: Evgeny Grin
Subject: Re: [libmicrohttpd] HTTP/2 Support on GNU Libmcrohttpd
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2017 23:20:01 +0300

On 08.07.2017 0:37, Didik Setiawan wrote:

> I just reiterate a question about is there any plan to make GNU Libmicrohttpd
> support HTTP/2?
>
> If not, may I bother if we are willing to propose new change about that?
> Adding
> HTTP/2 support to Libmicrohttpd. I know this can be categorized as non trivial
> task, since for me myself, there are still many unresolved tasks regarding
> GSoC
> 2017. But, if you agree, I will start work in this topic once my tasks
> completed, in the near weeks. I'm new to HTTP/2 and how to implementing RFC
> into
> real software so any guide and pointers are really appreciated.
>
> I open this question because in Wget2 project, there is a requirement about
> testing Wget2 HTTP/2 code. Currently, I working on a topic of integrating
> Libmicrohttpd into Wget2 as http server. Unfortunately, Libmicrohttpd is not
> supporting HTTP/2 yet. And it will be nice if Libmicrohttpd has support on it,
> so both of the project could have benefit from it.

Hi Didik,

Implementing of HTTP/2 in appreciated but not yet planned.
HTTP/1.1 is enough for many current tasks and will be enough in
foreseeable future, so HTTP/2 is not high priority.
HTTP/2 is much more complex comparing to HTTP/1.1. It require
multiplexing of data streams and encoding and decoding headers.
HTTP/2 will also require significant rise of amount of code and larger
resulting binary. Many functions, useful for HTTP/1.0 and HTTP/1.1 can't
be reused for HTTP/2 or will need rewrite.
We consider small binary size as advantage of MHD so HTTP/2-related code
must be implemented as disableable by configure switch.

Patches are always welcome but for so large change it will need a
separate branch with atomic commits and deep review.

--
Wishes,
Evgeny