Re: [libmicrohttpd] MHD_AccessHandlerCallback won't be called again if *

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [libmicrohttpd] MHD_AccessHandlerCallback won't be called again if *upload_data_size is set to non-zero.
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2016 22:08:22 +0200

Hi Nicholas,

I've looked at the code, and I don't think this is a bug in MHD.
Basically, the issue is that you're telling MHD that you cannot
immediately process all POST data (by partially handling the data).
But MHD never does busy waiting, and we have now no way of telling
when your application might be ready to handle the rest of the POST.

MHD's behavior in this case is to avoid the busy loop, and instead
simply retry at the next opportunity, which as you rightly observe
might be 'never'.  I've clarified that we consider this an application
bug by printing a warning in SVN 37545 whenever an application behaves
"badly" in this sense.

The correct behavior (for your code) would be to call
MHD_suspend_connection() as you are returning from handling the POST
partially (with more than 0-bytes left in upload data).  Then, once you
are ready to handle the rest of the data, you should call
MHD_resume_connection().  Alternatively, in "thread-per-connection"
mode, you should block until you've processed all the data.  Only in
"external" select mode, you don't have to suspend the connection as you
can force MHD to re-trigger the handler by calling MHD_run().

As of SVN 37545, MHD now logs a warning if applications keep data
unprocessed while also not suspending the connection and also not
running in external select mode.  I hope this will help everyone in (1)
finding these corner cases, and (2) understanding how to handle them
properly.

Happy hacking!

Christian