Re: [libmicrohttpd] Trouble getting a response sent from a separate work

From: Tom Cornell
Subject: Re: [libmicrohttpd] Trouble getting a response sent from a separate worker thread (with external select)
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 19:11:13 +0000

> Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2014 18:44:53 +0100
> From: Christian Grothoff <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: [libmicrohttpd] Trouble getting a response sent from a
>       separate worker thread (with external select)
>
> Dear Tom,
>
> Did you pass the "MHD_USE_SUSPEND_RESUME" flag? Also, you're not
> supposed to call 'MHD_queue_response" from anywhere but the access
> handler callback, so if you call it from another thread, the behavior is not
> defined (or, more likely, you got an error value returned and thus your
> response was NOT actually queued but refused --- did you check the return
> value?).
>
> So please (1) check return values, (2) pass USE_SUSPEND_RESUME, and
> (3) call 'resume' from the other thread but queue the reply in the access
> handler.  After that, it should work. If it does not, make sure you run a
> recent
> MHD release. If that still fails, a testcase to reproduce would likely be
> helpful...
>
> Happy hacking!
>
> Christian

First off, thanks for the quick reply!

(1) Yes -- In particular, the call to MHD_queue_response returned MHD_YES.
 (And the response did eventually get sent, only select() had to time out
first.
Then control returned to the main loop and the next call to select()
picked up the response and sent it.)

(2) I did set the USE_SUSPEND_RESUME flag on starting the daemon.
(Learned that lesson early on.)

(3) I guess this must be the problem then.
So I can create the MHD_Response and queue it in the access handler,
but fill in the response data (status code, body) elsewhere, at a later time?
Do I need to be using MHD_create_response_from_callback to create
the MHD_Response? Or does that not matter?

This is version 0.9.37, built from source on CentOS 6, just for completeness.

Thanks!
Tom