Re: [libmicrohttpd] Odd Stop Behavior

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [libmicrohttpd] Odd Stop Behavior
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2014 23:52:00 +0200

Dear Kenneth,

The first thing you should provide is the name of the operating system
you are on (if non-Linux, that might by itself be a big hint).

Regardless, given that MHD does terminate after 115s suggests that some
timeout is involved.  Did you, by chance, set the per-connection timeout
to like 115-120 seconds?  Or is that your kernel's TCP timeout?  Again,
that's just for diagnostics -- there clearly still is an issue as that
timeout should not matter for shutdown.

When MHD is stopped, it should terminate existing ongoing requests
immediately (client gets a closed TCP socket); this is usually done
by calling 'shutdown()' on the TCP socket if HAVE_LISTEN_SHUTDOWN
(which should unblock the pthread), or by writing to a pipe.  Again,
what happens exactly depends a lot on your thread mode, MHD options
and kernel.

However, shutdown issues like this are usually easy to debug by
attaching a debugger and seeing where that thread hangs around,
so if you could provide a testcase I'm sure we can find a solution
rather quickly.

Happy hacking!

Christian