Re: [libmicrohttpd] Remove PlibC from autotools files

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [libmicrohttpd] Remove PlibC from autotools files
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2013 23:47:49 +0200

On 08/08/13 22:17, LRN wrote:

On 08.08.2013 23:00, Christian Grothoff wrote:
So given the choice of
duplicating the (messy) select loop and keeping it at arms length, I'd
rather not duplicate it.
It can be duplicated, but with simplifications (basically, just in the
code that you've committed initially, plus a dozen lines of code).

Well, I'm still in principle open for suggestions...

What I had hoped was that
somehow recent MinGW systems had fixed 'select', but I guess that was
overly optimistic on my part.
Winsock's select() can't be fixed. You can eitehr wrap around it (with
threads), or just go on and rewrite ws2_32.dll from the ground up
(ReactOS, maybe?).

I guess there's ideas, bad ideas, terrible ideas, and then there is writing ws2_32.dll from the ground up for MHD. ;-)

The real question is if we can do
something to make select on W32 work nicely on MinGW, so we don't have
the busy waiting crap to begin with.
Use threads. Really. That's the cleanest solution i know of.
We could probably push it into plibc, if your objection is to the
presence of extra threading in MHD itself, rather than the presence of
extra threading in MHD+plibc combination...H-m-m-m...ndurner, what do
you think?

Well, if you badly want threads, I guess as long as they are W32-only
maybe I'll live.  Would that eliminate the 100ms and the extra wake-ups?
Also, can we try to factor all of that code into (ideally) one big
#ifdef'ed function instead of having the logic embedded within the main MHD logic?

-Christian