Re: [libmicrohttpd] questions on performance

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [libmicrohttpd] questions on performance
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 12:42:27 +0200

Hi!

First of all, it would be much easier to help if you could make your benchmark available; that way, it becomes easier to see what might be
wrong.

Second, the (1) setting should be fine for performance, even though
40 threads might be a bit much unless you really have 40 cores.

Finally, I'm not sure if what you're measuring is actually what matters --- while MHD should call the 'completion' callback as soon as it is done, the client might see requests being completed much faster. Usually, when I do benchmarks, I looked at how fast the client got answers.

Now, I'm not saying looking at the completion callback is a bad idea --- find it quite interesting that there is this significant delay. A few years ago we had a bug filed against MHD for calling the completion callback 'too late' (i.e. with 1 s delay, IIRC); maybe you have hit a corner case where this issue still exists. To understand this better, it would be useful to know how fast the clients receive the replies --- and to see the source for your benchmark...

Happy hacking!

-Christian