Re: [libmicrohttpd] SSL handshake fails between libcurl and libgnutls/MH

From: Daniel Stenberg
Subject: Re: [libmicrohttpd] SSL handshake fails between libcurl and libgnutls/MHD
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 23:40:44 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012, Christian Grothoff wrote:

One of our tests also provokes a failure by selecting incompatible versions of the SSL protocol. With older versions, that test produces ONCE:

curl version: libcurl/7.21.3 GnuTLS/2.8.6 zlib/1.2.3.4 libidn/1.18
curl_easy_perform failed: `SSL connect error'
Error: received handshake message out of context

With the latest version, the two lines are repeated several times (and the test now fails).

Can you try with only changing libcurl OR gnutls to see which change that introduces the problem?

My guess right now is that there must have been some incompatible (!) protocol change in gnutls with itself (!?) or a significant change in how libcurl uses gnutls (i.e. change of supported ciphers, certificate checking, etc.).

I know GnuTLS has changed default crypto backend which probably implies some amount of changes. libcurl has not changed the GnuTLS-layer code in any significant way in a long time AFAICS. Although I don't think that a bug necessarily needs a significant change to occur...

I've not seen or heard anyone else report about similar problems with libcurl+gnutls...

--

 / daniel.haxx.se