[libmicrohttpd] Performance problem under Windows

From: Martin Bisson
Subject: [libmicrohttpd] Performance problem under Windows
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 11:03:10 -0500

Hi,

I'm using libmicrohttpd Windows build (the latest I found is libmicrohttpd-0.4.5-w32.zip) and I'm having some performance problems.

I wrote a simple Python script that does sequential (only one thread) HTTP POST requests in order to measure how fast a single client can make requests (sort of a measure of latency). Using a slight modification of the simple server found at http://www.gnu.org/software/libmicrohttpd/ running on the same computer as the Python script, I get a little more than 1 second per request. If I use the same script to send the request to an Linux Apache server on another computer on my LAN, I get around 12 ms per request.

I find the "little more than 1 second per request" a little suspicious. I looked at the code in daemon.c and both the select() and the poll() calls use a 1 second timeout... I was wondering if there might be a problem with that under Windows...? Or is the 1 second per request an expected latency for libmicrohttpd with client & server on the same computer?

Has anyone had this problem under Windows or can anyone point me to solution path?

Thanks,

Mart