Re: [libmicrohttpd] SSL support?

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [libmicrohttpd] SSL support?
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 21:34:46 +0200

First of all, SSL/TLS support can be more or less complete (with respect to
the standards).  I believe that Amir is currently in the process of removing
some features that depend on GPL'ed code (mostly related to OpenPGP certs).
So, when I say that we will support SSL/TLS, this may mean only a significant
subset and not every feature in all of the specs...

The goal is that the APIs will hardly change -- a few extra options when
starting the daemon to specify that SSL is desired and where the CERTs can be
found should be mostly it. Internally, a few things are changing, mostly
wrappers around the existing IO to go through the SSL/TLS module.

As far as availability goes, well, AFAIK there are the changes removing GPLed
code, some more testing and then primarily documentation that are still big
on my list.

I suspect (but Amir is the authority here since he is coding...) that we could
put out a test-release (with little to no docs on SSL) in a few weeks.  At
that point, testing the code and reporting back successes and failures would
be useful (and could hurry us to put out a "stable" release sooner).  Trying
my highly imprecise crystal ball, I'd expect a first 0.4.x release with
SSL/TLS support in September 2008 (again, Amir may have a better idea). In
the worst case, I'd still expect to have a solid stable release by the end of
the year.

My 2 cents...

Christian