libextractor

Re: [libextractor] EXTRACTOR_getDefaultLibraries failing

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [libextractor] EXTRACTOR_getDefaultLibraries failing
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 07:23:07 -0600

AFAIK the only reason why it could fail is that it cannot find the plugins.
LE uses various strategies to try to locate the plugin files (details asre a
bit OS dependent, but on Linux LE tries to find the path to libextractor.so
from /proc/self/ and then assumes that the plugins are located relative to
that path -- for details, look at the C code).

Anyway, if the plugins cannot be found (lt_dlopen fails), then NULL is likely
to be returned.  This can usually be fixed by correcting the installation
(not LE's code).  Now, I've not had any reports about the Debian/Ubuntu
packages being broken, so this is a bit odd.  Maybe something quite
installation-specific.

You might want to start by contacting the Ubuntu maintainer to see if it is
something package-specific.

Good luck!

Christian