Re: [Libcdio-devel] Distraction over Wikipedia topic, was Rock Ridge and

From: Natalia Portillo
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] Distraction over Wikipedia topic, was Rock Ridge and libisofs/xorriso 'AL' extension
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2017 10:35:03 +0100

Hi,

The MODE SELECT is that basically you can change "sector size" on
several SCSI devices. On most hard disks it requires a reformat (NetApp
uses 520 bytes/sector afaik), but on early SCSI CD-ROM drives (up to
6x?) it supported changing the sector size to 512 and did the block cut
on firmware.

The 2x drive made by Sony and used in Sun computers and the Apple CD300
drive support this command, as well as having a jumper to choose power
up default (so you would need to MODE SELECT a 2048 bytes sector),
because their firmwares where hardwired to 512 bytes/sector.

I also have some Yamaha drives with that jumper.

Later drives omit the jumper and only support the command (that later
firmware uses), and even later drives support neither.

If you just put a SCSI DVD-ROM drive on a SparcStation 5, you cannot
boot :/.

'bout SGI and POWER computers, dunno, probably they did the same? I
think SGI EFS CDs indeed do.

So there's the question, anything that emulates an ISO with those boot
sectors, should suppor the "MODE SELECT" command somehow or expect the
applications it is feeding to do the sector cutting.

Regards,
Natalia Portillo