Re: Fully loadable device drivers

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Fully loadable device drivers
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2016 23:41:39 +0200

Hello!

Слободенюк Александр Игоревич <address@hidden> skribis:

> I can't get the reason why Hurd development chose the way of compiling
> drivers with the kernel, same as linux. It looks like an another
> boring buisness trick of foundations.
>
> I'm not experienced in kernel development, but I can imagine, that if
> drivers would be totally independent from the kernel, it would be
> beautiful at least.

Historically, the Mach microkernel included device drivers (unlike L4),
and the Hurd uses Mach.

However, Hurd developments over the last few years have led to the
inclusion of device drivers in user space, first using DDE, and now
using Rump.

I would suggest emailing address@hidden since address@hidden is
pretty much dead.  :-)

Ludo’.