Re: Linus replies

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: Linus replies
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 11:16:53 +0200

Donnie Jones <address@hidden> writes:

> The whole argument that microkernels are somehow "more secure" or
> "more stable" is also total crap. The fact that each individual piece
> is simple and secure does not make the aggregate either simple or
> secure."
> ***

In minix there is a server that restarts other servers when a server
segfaults.  So that increases stability.  As for security, when one
gains access to the TCP/IP server, you can not immediately gain access
to confidential information.

> Could someone refute these statements for me?  Or do you agree with
> Linus' that microkernels are actually not easier to maintain?

This really depends on the microkernel.  Mach is not easy to maintain,
Tanenbaum claimed minix is easy to understand and to maintain.
Perhaps Shapiro can comment on this, he has a lot of practical
experience maintaining a microkernel.

--
Marco