Re: DogCows or Polymorphism in the Hurd

From: Tom Bachmann
Subject: Re: DogCows or Polymorphism in the Hurd
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 09:42:34 +0100

Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:
Maybye we're speaking cross purposes and I just don't understand the thing. Assume I move a .tar.bz2 file from some where into an empty directory. Then I use my "completely-polytype-unawayre-ls", what will I see? And will I see something different when using the hurdish ls. If so, what and why?

What you will see is a single file "foo.tar.bz".

But if you now choose to browse this file through a browser, the browser
may choose to bind a directory-ish view under a new name. Or not.

OK. But how does the browser bind the file? I understand how it get's the new file object, but how does it make this file object known? It could be realized with a translator by a new channel of indirection...
Anyway, in the above sense, is a hurdish ls a "browser"?

If you want a pretty good example of how this works from the user point
of view, look at the Windows Explorer.

Uhm. I don't use Windows my self, so what does the explorer do? As far as I remember It just browses directories.

The graph that I was referring you to was:

   PolyType
    /    \
  File   Dir

In this graph, foo.tar.bz would be bound as a File interface (more
likely, as a BzFile interface).

I don't think it is bound more likely as a bzFile, because the standard binding should be compatible to other OS.
--
-ness-