Re: ** new guy in town: where to start?

From: Neal H. Walfield
Subject: Re: ** new guy in town: where to start?
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 20:24:23 +0100

At Wed, 27 Apr 2005 12:59:22 -0300,
Pedro Sigwald wrote:

> hello to all:
> where can i find a project status of the hurd to know what to do to
> help? is there any unstable release?

There is no useable release of the Hurd on L4.  (If you are just
looking for a useable version of the GNU Hurd, try Debian GNU/Hurd
which uses Mach as its microkernel.)

If you want to help, you should start by familiarizing yourself with
the code.  Then, try some experiments: send a few RPCs, create a task,
etc.  Once you understand the fundamentals, you'll be able to attack a
real problem.  You can find them in the various TODO files.  You can
also compare the design document with the actual code base and figure
out the missing pieces.

Some of us are on irc.  Try irc.debian.org, #hurd-l4.  You'll be able
to get quick feedback and some guidance.  We might also be able to
suggest a specific project given your interests, skills and time.  Big
questions, however, should be asked on this mailing list so that we
have a record for others.

Thanks,
Neal