Re: No luck with libc compilation - missing l4/arch.h file (?)

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: No luck with libc compilation - missing l4/arch.h file (?)
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 02:36:13 +0100

At Wed, 02 Mar 2005 08:07:31 -0500,
"B. Douglas Hilton" <address@hidden> wrote:
> # Required for making the install-headers target
> AC_CHECK_PROG([CP], [cp], cp :)

There is $(INSTALL_HEADER) defined by automake.

There is also $(HEADERS).

And there are targets like "install-includehurdHEADERS" which are run
by targets like "install-data-am" and "install-data".

Actually, install-data is supposed to be platform independent, which
header files generally are not, so it is kind of bogus to have the
header files installed by install-data.  But anyway, maybe
"install-data" is already good enough, if you can run it without
building anything.  Maybe you can check this out?

For the cleanest solution (or if install-data doesn't work), I would
really like to see an install-header target supported natively by
automake.

> Then append the following to the top level Makefile.am:
>
> install-headers: include
>     $(CP) -RL include $(prefix)
>
> include: config.status
>     ./config.status
>
> It is sort of a kludge but it gets the job done. The main problem is
> that the source include directory doesn't even exist until you run
> configure, so its hard to specify what to copy since you don't really
> know in advance.

Well, even the Makefiles don't exist until you run configure.  Running
configure is an OK prerequisite for "make install-header".  The
important thing is that "make install-header" succeeds before glibc is
built and installed.

Thanks,
Marcus