RE: ipc security

From: Volkmar Uhlig
Subject: RE: ipc security
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 21:15:47 +0200

Xfer timeouts are checked when a pagefault occurs, assuming that the
copy operation is relatively short running and thus more fine-grain
timing only incurs overhead.  The pagefault IPC is sent with a timeout
which reflects the remaining Xfer time.  If the malicious pager doesn't
respond in time the IPC gets aborted.  (The current implementation of
Pistachio may slightly vary, though.)  Overall, string IPC can be bound
and is specifically there to have a trusted memory transfer.

- Volkmar