Re: bug in task server startup code

From: Bas Wijnen
Subject: Re: bug in task server startup code
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 16:04:03 +0200

Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
Mapping memory is to be considered a restricted operation.  We can
enforce that by using redirectors.

Eh, I don't see the problem. What's wrong with threads mapping their memory to other threads?

It consumes kernel memory.
(The Hurd design doesn't even use recursive mappings - all mappings
are done flat by physmem.)

I tend to agree with Neal that using redirectors for all IPC operations is too much overhead, however, it would be neccesary if this problem cannot be solved. However, I think it can, there are two ways that I can think of (both of which involve changing the kernel, which is not nice, but IMO much better than redirecting all IPCs.)

- One solution is to make IPC of map items a priviledged action, which can only be done by threads in the root server's address space (like priviledged system calls.) This is probably a small patch for the kernel, and the L4 people may even want to include it in their official version if it can be switched on and off at compile time. Then mapping memory is done by wortel through physmem, like creating threads is done by wortel through task.

- The other solution is to put the page tables in user space, like the UTCB area. In that case, an address space will have a maximum number of mappings. This seems like a theoretically nice solution, however I don't know if it fits at all into the current design of the kernel, and I expect it to be a huge change. I also don't know the performance implications. I'm guessing the L4 people thought of it and rejected it for some reason. It's not something we should do, anyway.

So I think there are two options here: use redirectors or make mapping a priviledged operation. I prefer the last one.

String items can be supported, but one must be careful.

The idea is that you allow page faults on the server side to happen,
but not on the client side[1].  The client must then lock down all
memory needed for string items to or from the server.  This is easier
said than done, especially if you don't know up-front how long the
reply is going to be.  There is a whole paper on this issue (by
someone else, in fact, the paper that made me start to worry about
this in detail), and I have written about it in length before.  Look
at the xfer timeout parameter of the IPC system call for how to avoid
being blocked when page faults occur.

If the server can not trust the client, how can it know about the memory it uses? I thought the server could only send a string item (or accept one), not know where it's coming from.

It's thus a bit complicated to use string items, but they are an
important optimization.  You can't just always pass container handles
to mappable memory around, for example for every filename you want to
lookup.  We have to decide how to use this on a case-by-case basis.

I was expecting to use the untyped words for short messages (perhaps using some follow-up code to use slightly more space if needed by using several IPCs) and map containers for large messages. There are 64 MRs, of which at least 1, but likely 2 will be needed to encode the purpose of the transfer. That leaves (on a 32-bit system) 62*4=248 bytes per IPC for a short message. Things like filenames should usually fit in it.

Of course at some point using a container will be a better idea. There can be a library function which considers using IPC and a container, and just uses which is appropriate. The caller doesn't need to know how the transfer was done :-)

I understand that string items can speed things up, especially if the size is just a little more than 62 words. However, doing all the checking for correct string buffers probably slows the whole thing down again.

Just one more idea: Allow transfers to be done using a third task, which holds a permanent container with the server. This task is run by the user, so the program which wants to send or receive the data has mutual trust with it. The string transfer can then be done between those, for example directly into the container. The server has a container it can write in and read from (which doesn't need to be created and destroyed every time, of course), so it should be happy.

Thanks,
Bas