Re: wortel error when I boot the system

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: wortel error when I boot the system
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 20:34:21 +0200

At Thu, 5 Aug 2004 19:40:43 +0200,
Bas Wijnen <address@hidden> wrote:
> One problem is that it isn't very clear yet which modules need to be
> specified.  Personally, I would like to have laden, l4, sigma0, wortel,
> physmem, task, ramdisk.  The ramdisk should hold the device driver framework,
> which can then be booted the "usual" way.  This is possible because the
> ramdisk is a filesystem, so the running programs have all they need: a
> filesystem, physmem and task.

The current plan is:
laden, sigma0, wortel, physmem, task, deva, deva-store, rootfs

where deva is the device access server, deva-store a device driver
repository (a bit like the module collection on an initrd) that is
used until the filesystem is available (in particular, drivers _for_
the root filesystem), and rootfs will usually be ext2fs.

> > Also, is it any use if someone removed the requirement for stripping
> > physmem? (looks like a good thing for a newbie-hacker to work on)
>
> The problem is in wortel AFAIK, and wortel is not finished at all yet.  I
> think it is not much use fixing it before wortel is "finished", because
> otherwise it will only create more work when wortel needs to be changed.

You only need to diddle with the load addresses to make space.  At
least that should be all that is required.  They can be configured
with --with-physmem-load-addr=0x... etc. at configure time (if my mind
doesn't fail me).

Marcus