Re: URL of RTEMS (pthreads and other useful code)

From: Johan Rydberg
Subject: Re: URL of RTEMS (pthreads and other useful code)
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 18:30:48 +0100

Ognyan Kulev wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 04:18:38AM +0100, Johan Rydberg wrote:
> > Shouldn't it be up to the micro-kernel to supply a thread library?
>
> We need pthread library.  Unfortunately none of the micro-kernels we try
> to work with (GNUMach & L4 family) doesn't seem to have it.
>
> GNUMach have cthreads.  I don't investigate L4 family but surely it have
> some library but != pthreads.

I guess it will not be that hard to "adopt" the cthread library (since
many things in pthreads are inherited from cthreads.)

> In my understanding we need pthreads because (1) they are open
> widely-accepted standard so our Hurd servers will be too (2) it is a rich
> library.

Another question (that I a bit off-topic):

  . should we create a new cvs-repository for the "new" GNU/Hurd?

--
Johan Rydberg, Net Insight AB, Sweden, +46-8-685 04 00

$ ON F$ERROR("LANGUAGE","ENGLISH","IN_MESSAGE").GT.F$ERROR("NORMAL") -
             THEN EXCUSE/OBJECT=ME