Re: configuration

From: OKUJI Yoshinori
Subject: Re: configuration
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 15:37:57 +0900

From: Ali SHEIKH <address@hidden>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 12:09:40 -0500

> I am not an expert, but I think that Farid's virtual kernel idea might
> be a way out. If we can come up with a a libvk that is generic enough
> to encapsulate all microkernel interfaces, then we can just go ahead
> and call our system *-*-gnu, without worrying about what ukernel it is.

  Hm, that is one of the things I want to hear. ;)

  Do all of you agree that the basic idea should be to construct a
generic but yet powerful layer and rewrite Hurd on the top of the
microkernel-independent layer? But don't forget that GCC still has
some predefinitions of Mach. We need to consider (1) simply getting
rid of them, (2) replacing them with generic ones (e.g. -DMOM), or (3)
still defining microkernel-specific constants, to allow to implement
microkernel-dependent features.

  BTW, what is the difference between libmom and libvk? I think it is
just what you want to call them. For me, MOM is a better name, because
this is an existing English word. :)

Okuji