koha-devel

[Koha-devel] Currencies in Koha

From: Joshua M. Ferraro
Subject: [Koha-devel] Currencies in Koha
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 13:00:53 -0600 (CST)

Hi all,

Prompted by this post on the Koha users' list:

http://lists.katipo.co.nz/public/koha/2007-February/011153.html

I'd like to take a look at how we currently handle currency symbols
in Koha. There's a standard defined for currency codes, ISO 4217:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_4217

I think it would be worthwhile to consider whether integrating those
'official' currency codes into Koha wherever currency is displayed
would be useful.

For adding records, obviously the MARC21/UNIMARC standard, along with
AACR2 or another standard for representing the currency symbol should
be used by the librarian. Probably Koha should be able to read that
properly in the display pages and display the right currency
automatically?

Also, for places like fines, acquisitions, etc., where Koha handles
monetary transactions, perhaps we should have a system preference
for how to display the default currency?

Any thoughts, comments, etc.?

Cheers,

address@hidden |Full Demos at http://liblime.com/koha |1(888)KohaILS