koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] QA on Stable Branch

From: Paul POULAIN
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] QA on Stable Branch
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 12:04:36 +0200

Joshua Ferraro a écrit :
Hi all,

Now that pierrick has retired as QA manager ...

This email is to remind everyone that the 'stable' branch of Koha
is so-named because it's supposed be the most 'bug-free' version
of Koha. Especially since we're nearing the release of 2.2.6, it's
very important that all commits don't break existing functionality.

Please, I can't stress this enough, before you commit something,
please test the function completely to make sure it works. Also,
test any related functions that may be affected by your commit. This
may take a few extra minutes, but it will save the rest of us
hours of troubleshooting a so-called 'stable' branch.

Joshua & me spoke of this on the chat yesterday (private channel don't search the logs)

We are caught between 2 positions :
- libraries that want Koha as it is, but bug free.
- libraries that want -minor- new features, and they want them NOW.

In 2.2.x branch, if you look at my release notes, I had announced when releasing 2.2.5 that it will be the last in branch 2.2 with new features. In the next weeks, I will release a 2.2.6 that has few bugfixes, and so many new features or major improvement.
Let me list them quickly :
- changes in MARC editor to handle correctly MARC21. The problem was small, the solution heavy (=need for XML packages...) - changes in acquisitions : libraries did not understand how receive worked. hdl added some features to create "parcels". they are nice, but introduced new problems - changes in serials to handle expected date & real receive date. It was requested, but introduced many new problems too.

That's because of those new features that I released 2.2.6RC1 then 2.2.6RC2. You will note that I did not release 2.2.5RC1 previously !

so, I think joshua is right here : we must try to have a 2.2 branch as stable as possible. But I'm afraid we will stay between the hammer and the ??? (dunno the english word) for a while...

If you do happen to commit something that breaks Koha, please
either fix the bugs immediately, or revert the code back to a
working state. There's nothing more annoying than trying to
troubleshoot someone else's buggy code.

Nobody (at least not me) commit something knowing it's buggy (or I say it in commit notes).
But only heavy testing shows some problems.
I just hope everybody will understand your mail as a reminder to be as careful as possible. At least, that's how I understand it & will take it for me.

Remember, if you wrote
something, it will take you much less time to fix a bug than
someone else.

for sure !

As a further reminder, there are still 9 'blocker' bugs that we
know about, preventing us from releasing 2.2.6.

only 7 now, and i'll work on some this afternoon.

--
Paul POULAIN et Henri Damien LAURENT
Consultants indépendants