koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] New KOHA3 API -design issue

From: Paul POULAIN
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] New KOHA3 API -design issue
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 17:20:57 +0200

Tümer Garip a écrit :
Hi all,

Hi Tümer,

2- biblio table now has: biblionumber,marc,itemtype,framework
3-items table now has : itemnumber,biblionumber,barcode,marc

I'm *strongly against* dropping all the values. Joshua and me have spoken of this before, and I really think we MUST kept a minimum of datas in biblios & items tables.
Like title, author, and all values that already exists.
It won't cost a lot of disk or CPU, and will be very very useful for at least 2 things :
* debuging Koha
* querying the database with pure SQL.

The other question being also to have iso2709 and (or ?) marcxml in the datas. xml is human readable & turned toward future, where iso is more efficient in term of CPU & disk usage.

6- A new koha_attr table added. This one is for creating virtual fields
which we do not have any more. Also helps matching your own MARC
indexing rules to KOHA and ZEBRA. (More on this later)

i'm waiting for the "more on this later", because I don't understand what you mean here...

2- All items (holdings) are single marc records, instead of all items in
one marc record for the same bibliographic record. The main idea behind
this is flexibility and speed. One full record for an item gives lots of
fields to put all that information that you wanted to keep but did not
have extra subfields left. All data including circulation data is kept
within the marc records, this approach makes circulation updates faster
as we do not have to reindex unchanged data related to other items again
(zebra technicalities!).

sounds correct & good idea to me.

3- All MARC framework designs have OPAC:show-hide Intranet:show-hide
Editor:show-show collapsed-hide as dropdown selections so not to wory
about what we  put in these MARC fields. All handled correctly
4- Circulation speed is improved. One marc update instead of 6 sepatrate
database update calls we used to have.

The new koha_attr table:
<snip>
I will be writing more on this issue after the commits but in the mean
time expect to have your comments on all the issues regarding this
upgrade.
I still don't understand what it's done for, sorry...

--
Paul POULAIN