koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Installer for 2.3

From: Paul POULAIN
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Installer for 2.3
Date: Tue Jul 19 00:26:59 2005

MJ Ray a écrit :
For All Koha Hackers:
* A new installer is in development.
* The start is already in CVS. It doesn't work yet.
* I've read old koha-devel posts and I've looked at other projects,
so I think I see at least some of the pitfalls.
* If you think I will break your code, please warn me now.
* I aim to have this working well by the end of August.

For Joshua:
I've added myself to the 3.0 roadmap. Hope that's OK.

For Installer Hackers:

Following the installer meeting, I've taken a look at the
ExtUtils::MakeMaker and ExtUtils::MakeMaker::Tutorial man
pages, as well as some other articles and it looks like this
is a reasonable way to go and it might work for koha. I think
particularly interesting items on the main man page are:

 NAME, DISTNAME, VERSION (which are fairly obvious)
 PREREQS_PM (our dependencies)
 CONFIGURE (which might do the autodetection and Q&A if wanted)
 PM (what installs where) and
 PL_FILES (scripts that write files, perhaps autodetecting)

I have started the ball rolling by adding Makefile.PL to the CVS
HEAD. I have also removed some other files (Makefile Make.conf.in
C4/Makefile.PL C4/MANIFEST) which seemed to be in the way.

My next step is to use buildrelease and Install.pm to determine
which files in the source tree belong where in the installed tree
and write that into the Makefile.PL - at the moment, this will
make the Makefile.PL very very big, mainly because of translated
templates. I'd rather pack one set of templates and the po files,
but which set? I'll do this this week, one way or another.
A good solution would be to have :
- only english templates in public version.
- let the user choose which them he wants to install (+ default, always included) - let the user choose which language he wants to install for the themes he choose (& create the corresponding templates)

I also have one request for the new installer : the possibility to choose SQL files to import during installation is very important. At the moment, it's under-used, but it's a very useful feature. For example, I have in my pockets, a sql file to setup a 100% working Koha for a small french public library. With all datas required (frameworks, borrower categories, item types, default issuing rules...) I also hope to be able to add for 2.2.4 some sample DB (one in french, one in english. JOSHUA : don't forget to send me a mysql dump of you sample DB)

--
Paul POULAIN