koha-devel

[Koha-devel] Advance review on feature list for Koha 2.4/3.0 (hdl & paul

From: Henri-Damien LAURENT
Subject: [Koha-devel] Advance review on feature list for Koha 2.4/3.0 (hdl & paul coding planning)
Date: Mon Jul 18 08:04:39 2005

Hi,

Here is a list of features that hdl & me will code soon (reminder for thos who didn't follow : hdl & me are working together)

All of them will be in next major version, some of them being backported to 2.2.x (that will be specified in this mail. when it's written "backported soon", it means that the backport will be done asap, as it's requested by one of my customers. otherwise, will be backported when hdl/me has time & if requested by someone)

*1- Improved multi-branch support*
===============================
Some of my libraries have more than one branch for circulation, borrowers, AND for acquisition, cataloguing... In Koha 2.2.x, all librarian have access to everything in a module (if they have the correct login). Some libraries need to have "budget X is for the branch AA", and "budget Y is for the branch BB" or "item must be created/modified only by the library that own them".

So we will add the following features :

1-A BUDGET (BOOKFUND)
----------
A new row will be added to the budget, called "branchcode". If branchcode is '', then everybody can acquire using this budget. If branchcode is 'XX', then only a librarian from branch 'XX' can acquire using this budget.
This will change :
- the parameter >> bookfunds admin screen (adding the list)
- the acqui-home.pl script : showing only bookfunds the user can use when placing an order.
- in newbiblio, the librarian can choose the bookfund from the limited list.

needs only a new row in aqbookfund table. will be in head & backported soon in 2.2.x

This is on CVS version and works.
Needs an update in database aqbookfund(additionnal field).

1-B SEPARATE BRANCH
--------------
in some multi-branch libraries (like in NPL) the branch is only for members/circulation. All acquisition & cataloguing is done in a unique branch. In other multi-branch library, each branch has it's own cataloguing, acquisition... team. So, we need a support for those libraries. I propose to have a new systempreference entry, called "IndependantBranches" (native english, feel free to suggest something better)
When not set, the behaviour is as in 2.2.x
When set, the behaviour becomes :
* in acquisition module, only suggestions made by a user from the same branch as the librarian can be accepted/rejected. * in acquisition module, an order can be modified/recieved/closed only by a librarian from the same branch than the librarian that created the basket. * in catalogue module, an item can be modified/deleted/created only by a librarian from the same branch as item owner branch * in members module, a member can be created/modified only by a librarian from the branch of the member.

don't need a change in DB, will be in head & backported soon in 2.2.x

Still to be done

*2- OTHER IMPROVEMENTS*
2-C tracking who does what
Koha will save which librarian creates/modify a biblio, and when (but not what he changed ? open question here, as saving what he changed can be very complex) Needs a new table in DB, will be in head only.

Already available on CVS... Needs some fixing though, and maybe some code improvements. But may be of great value.

Every other proposed features are still to be done.
--
Henri-Damien LAURENT