koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Website / ID Meeting Notes

From: Paul POULAIN
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Website / ID Meeting Notes
Date: Fri Jul 1 01:12:43 2005

Joshua Ferraro a écrit :
Meeting Notes for Website / Interface Design Meeting
1. Koha.org Website
 We discussed Russ's report:
  http://www.russandsarah.gen.nz/kohawebredev/

a. folks need to look at the wireframes and give feedback to russ

if i see correctly http://russandsarah.gen.nz/gallery/kohadev/aaa?full=1
we plan to have Koha >> About Koha >> Koha presentation >> slides ?
I would divide Koha presentations in chapters, one for each "module" (acqui, cataloguing, circ, borrowers, opac, parameters, reports, ...) That's what i did with koha-fr.org & it's important as the number of pages for each module can become important (& i've a FAQ page for each, to avoid a question being asked 1000 times)

b. some feedback was given about objective and scope:

   opencms was introduced as a product: opencms.org
    some question was raised as to whether opencms or mambo would be
    a better choice
    mambo supports multiple languages and we're not sure if opencms does

   the koha team will be 'koha project managers' with bios, emails at
    koha.org, and maybe even images to lend credibility to the project

   librarians were defined as users

   a media link will be added under 'news'

c. we want to support multiple languages eventually -- at first we'll
    do the site in english

For me it's not eventually : it's "of course". koha-fr.org get 70 visitors each day. It's graphically awful (or at least poor). So it's not a question for me : if we get a nice koha.org that supports many languages, i'll redirect koha-fr.org to koha.org/fr werever possible.

d. koha-fr.org will have to decide what to do if there are two french koha sites
f. the site will be mirrored by katipo and maybe by koha-fr and liblime too
no prob for koha-fr.org, the server is mine, i do what i want with it ;-)

2. Interface Design:

a. we will design a set of 'programmer templates' -- minimalist templates
   with only the functions of that template displayed to ease template
   maintenance for our interface designers

b. we will design a set of 'default templates' and the lead interface
   designer will be responsible for taking changes from the programmer
   templates and integrating those into the default templates

c. we will establish a set of guidelines for committing new features to
   CVS that will ensure that programmers commit only to programmer templates
   and not to default templates -- so that the ID can ensure QA on those
   templates

a,b,c sounds great, but do we have volunteer to be template designer & maintainer, as it's a big & boring job during stable releases, believe me !

e. the success of this method will depend on all the programmers playing
   nicely and committing their additions to the minimalist templates in
   addition to their own project templates

ok for me.

--
Paul POULAIN