koha-devel

[Koha-devel] Re: koha

From: Pat Eyler
Subject: [Koha-devel] Re: koha
Date: Thu Apr 25 09:41:13 2002

I'm responding to the koha-devel list as well to ensure that the people
most involved with the things Sergey's touched on hear his comments.

On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, Sergey A Yanovitsky wrote:

> Hello Pat,
>
> Monday, April 22, 2002, 11:26:37 PM, you wrote:
>
> PE> Hi Jah,
> hi
> PE> thought I'd check in and see what your thoughts were on koha.  Let me know
> PE> what you (and the others working with you) think, okay?
>
> It's a nice system. You guys did lots of work there. :))
>
> But  it  seems  that  it  is growing without particular plan. Database
> sources  are just dump from someone's (maybe your leader's) working DB
> and they really need normalization. It would be nice to make a diagram,
> that  represents your database. Something like the one that i attached
> to this letter (i made it in Graphviz).

I know that some people are looking into the DB.  I don't know what their
plans are, so I can't really comment on them.

> There is also no unified  api for working with web forms. And it
> seems that it would be hard to extend your system :( I think you should
> look    at   something   like  Mason.

I agree, some kind of templating, and an overall shift to a separation of
logic and presentation makes sense

> Or, if you plan to shift to ruby
> -- mod_ruby+eRuby.

I think I'm the only rubyist working on koha, so I doubt a shift to
ruby is in the works.

> My  expirience says that php will not help here.
> It's too messy for such a big project.

agreed

> Unfortunately  i  can't  say  more by now. Too much work :( I asked my
> teammates to look at Koha. Later i'll send their opinions to you.

Please inlcude the koha-devel list, I'm afraid I'd step on information
when I tried to pass it along and I'm sure the other folks working on koha
would appreciate seeing them.

> Also i'd like to speak with the guy/gal who wrote Koha's databases.

I'm not sure who it is, but he/she should be here on the devel list.

-pate