koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Other suggestions to clean DB...

From: paul POULAIN
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Other suggestions to clean DB...
Date: Tue Mar 5 13:07:18 2002

Chris Cormack wrote:

I've a few other suggestions to do :
* The bibliosubject table has a no indexes. It would be useful,
         imho, to put one on biblionumber, and one on subject, to speed
         up searches. The problem is that subject is a text field
         (BLOB), so can't be indexed. in the sample DB, there are only
         3 record being more than 80car long. And they are, (again
         imho) unuseable for searches :  WORLD WAR, 1939-1945 -
         PRISONERS AND PRISONS, GERMAN - PERSONAL NARRATIVES, NEW
         ZEALAND, for exampl. I had divided such a subject in 3 or 4
         subjects. Do you agree to modify column type to car(80), and
         putting an index ?

You can actually index text fields (It is indexed in the hlt database in
production) show index from bibliosubject;
+---------------+------------+----------+--------------+-------------+-----------+-------------+----------+--------+---------+
| Table         | Non_unique | Key_name | Seq_in_index | Column_name |
Collation | Cardinality | Sub_part | Packed | Comment |
| bibliosubject |          1 | subidx   |            1 | subject     |
A         |       17111 |       15 | NULL   |         |

You're both right. I tried to index with phpmyadmin, who can't create this :
CREATE INDEX test ON bibliosubtitle (subtitle(80))
If I create index in writing the create index, it works.
So, this problem is closed. we can keep text fields.
--
Paul