koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] wishlist : another idea : bibliosubjects

From: Chris Cormack
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] wishlist : another idea : bibliosubjects
Date: Mon Mar 4 11:51:16 2002

On Tue, 2002-03-05 at 08:42, paul POULAIN wrote:
> The bibliosubjects table contains all the subjects used for a biblio.
> It's used in the search process.
> In the create biblio process, there is a subject field, in which we
> store all the subjects.
> I think it would be useful to have a table where we could store all the
> differents subjects that are used in the DB.
> It could be an reference table. I don't know the word in english, but in
> french, it's called "thesaurus" if i don't mind.

Yep that would be good. At the moment what happens in the cataloguing
when you change the subject of a biblio. Its scans the bibliosubject
table to find if it already exists. If it doesnt it warns you and asks
if you are sure you want to add it.
So its there logically, this means that it has to scan the whole
bibliosubjects table, while not hugely slow, it would be slower than
scanning an authority table.
This hasnt been high priority for me, because its been working as it is,
but it would be good to clean up.
The database design was pretty much inherited from the system before
koha, so that data could come out of that and into koha easily.
So the database is slowly becoming more sensible the more we work on it,
which is good.

> In the author section, the same kind of table should be created too : a
> table referencing how to spell an author name : any manner you wrote an
> author, it must be "findable". In the biblio, an author must be entered
> in a standard form, this table helping. I wrote a  message about that in
> the user ml a few weeks ago.

Yep we do need an author authority table.

Chris
--
Chris Cormack                                               Programmer
025 500 789                                  Katipo Communications Ltd