jessie-discuss

Re: [Jessie-discuss] Jessie 1.0.1 not working with Internet Explorer

From: Casey Marshall
Subject: Re: [Jessie-discuss] Jessie 1.0.1 not working with Internet Explorer
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 22:01:36 -0700

On Oct 18, 2005, at 1:21 PM, Martin Egholm Nielsen wrote:

Hi Casey,

Now, everything seemed just fine - until I tried connecting to my Jessie-server with IE... It just rejects immediately, giving a standard "The page cannot be displayed"-page suggesting this and that...
Mozilla and Opera works fine, however...

I've tried disabling different ciphers, but nothing helps.

Have you tried it Nico?

Any suggestions?

Setting 'SSLSocket.DEBUG_HANDSHAKE_LAYER' and 'SSLSocket.DEBUG_KEY_EXCHANGE' to 'true' and recompiling will produce some debug output that might prove useful (posting the output of a run with these enabled may reveal something to me, if I can't get a chance to try this out myself).

Here it goes (if you hadn't made them final, I could have changed through reflection :-))

Yeah, but if they're 'static final,' the compiler can optimize away the debug statements. ;-)

I'm thinking about changing the debug system to use java.util.logging instead, WITH boolean guards, so in release builds even the calls to the loggers can be optimized out, but debug builds can still disable verbose logging (or dump it to a file).

I think the problem is that Jessie is set up by default to emit empty records (this is a countermeasure against (theoretical?) attacks against the way SSL uses the CBC block cipher mode). This makes IE on OSX crash, at least. I'm pretty sure that IE is one of the browsers with such a broken SSL stack that it doesn't support this edge case.

Try this:

  Security.setProperty ("jessie.emit.empty.records", "false");

I can (sometimes) get IE to connect to jessie with that set.