jessie-discuss

[Jessie-discuss] Licence exception terms not clear

From: Fred Bloggs
Subject: [Jessie-discuss] Licence exception terms not clear
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 10:46:28 -0800 (PST)

Dear Jessie Developer(s)

I stumbled on your page whilst looking for a JSSE
implementation that could be compiled into a
proprietary product using GCJ and libgcj.

I read the terms on the licence with the two
exceptions and I am a little confused as to whether I
can link and build a proprietary Microsoft Windows exe
with your library.  The reason I am confused is that
the first exception statement appears to directly
contradict the second exception statement.

I quote from http://www.nongnu.org/jessie/

___ start quote___
Jessie is distributed under the terms of the GNU
General Public License, along with the following
linking exception:

    "Linking this library statically or dynamically
with other modules is making a combined work based on
this library. Thus, the terms and conditions of the
GNU General Public License cover the whole
combination.

    "As a special exception, the copyright holders of
this library give you permission to link this library
with independent modules to produce an executable,
regardless of the license terms of these independent
modules, and to copy and distribute the resulting
executable under terms of your choice, provided that
you also meet, for each linked independent module, the
terms and conditions of the license of that module. An
independent module is a module which is not derived
from or based on this library. If you modify this
library, you may extend this exception to your version
of the library, but you are not obligated to do so. If
you do not wish to do so, delete this exception
statement from your version."
___end quote___

The first statements seems to say that the derived
works fall under the GPL.  Where as the second
statement immediately says ".....and to copy and
distribute the resulting executable under terms of
your choice....." which in my case would not be the
GPL terms.

I note the libgcj and the gnucrypto stuff seem to olny
have the second exception allowing it to be linked and
built into a proprietary exe which does not fall under
the GPL.

I would be grateful for any guidance you can provide
to help clarify my understanding.

Thanks in advance

Fred B.

Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!