Re: [Jailkit-users] jk_lsh[7742]: cannot find user info for USER guest:

From: Olivier Sessink
Subject: Re: [Jailkit-users] jk_lsh[7742]: cannot find user info for USER guest: Success (2)
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2018 17:08:27 +0100

On 14-12-18 15:59, John Pilkington wrote:
Thank you so much for your quick reply, Olivier. I have checked; there was a linefeed at the end of  guest:x:1002:1002:,,,:/home/guest:/usr/sbin/jk_lsh but not following i.e. not an empty line with just the linefeed character after the guest line.

I removed the trailing linefeed after /jk_lsh, but I'm afraid it made no difference to the result, the connection still terminates as before. Thank you for your explanation of getpwnam(), I was puzzled by the "Success" reported there.

So any further thoughts about where I should look next would be welcome. Can I debug the call to getpwnam() somehow?

this puzzles me too.. you can get some debugging information using strace:

https://olivier.sessink.nl/jailkit/howtos_debug_jails.html

especially the last section "Debugging a user account without shell in a jail" is what you need to do.

ssh to the account, but don't provide the password yet, first connect strace, and then provide the password and generate the debug information. Feel free to send me the logs if you don't find what's wrong.

Bluefish website http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/
Blog http://oli4444.wordpress.com/