info-nano

Re: [Info-nano] Nano Feature Request?

From: Damien Joldersma
Subject: Re: [Info-nano] Nano Feature Request?
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 10:45:24 -0700

Rock on! Thank you very much for those suggestions, I will certainly give them a try :)  -Damien

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 4:24 AM, Adam Wysocki via ArcaBit <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tue, 12 May 2009, Damien Joldersma wrote:

> I would like to have nano, my favorite editor :), to help me handle my
> permission problems.

Personally I would like this feature too. In the meantime you can:

1. Save file in /tmp and then move it to the proper destination (that's
what I do)
2. Use Ctrl-Z (or screen) and temporarily chmod/chown
3. Write a wrapper that checks the permission and runs nano with -v option
when the file is not writable

Third option can be accomplished by using access() or even simple as:

OPTS=
echo -n >> "$@" || OPTS="-v"
nano $OPTS "$@"

Regards.

--
Software Research and Development Department, ArcaBit sp. z o.o.
Ul. Fortuny 9, 01-339 Warszawa, Poland

--
Damien Joldersma
Software Engineer