info-mtools

Re: [Info-mtools] mtools-pre-4.0.20.tar.gz

From: Alain Knaff
Subject: Re: [Info-mtools] mtools-pre-4.0.20.tar.gz
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2018 10:08:06 +0100

Hi Chris,

On 07/11/2018 23:21, Chris Lamb  wrote:
> Hi Alain,
>
> Firstly, thank you for maintaining mtools and for preparing the
> upcoming 4.0.20 release.
>
>> 2. feature is disabled if mtools is installed setuid root
>
> Hm. can you elaborate why?

Because the administrator who installed mtools setuid root might not
expect that now users will be easily able to fake file creation and
modification dates. In some use cases it may be important that these
dates can be trusted.

>> Could you please have a look to make sure I didn't overlook anything
>> obvious :-) ?
>
> Sure thing. Can you link me to your source control system? I
> somehow can't seem to locate that on the main mtools website but
> I'm possibly just overlooking it.

Since 4.0.19, mtools is in subversion. Previously, development was in CVS

> Thank you again.
>

> Best wishes,

Regards,

Alain